Eat: Smashies (Burgers!), Setapak

Like fashion, there are trends for just about anything else. It was trendy to get an iPhone when it was first launched some years back. Of course, now Samsung spawns devices every few months. It’s getting hard to catch up, you know. Just like how there are so many burgers joint mushrooming faster than I can say “Buuuurgers”.

Honestly, I have lost count. The first I know was myBurgerLab, thanks to a friend who was very fond of them. Next thing I know, there are places like Burger Junkyard, Burgertory… you get what I mean. And now, will you be glad to know that they is another burger place called Smashies? The peeps in Setapak would probably be, considering the other burgers places are in PJ.

* * * * * * * * * *

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI Am Single, RM11 | Black bun, single beef patty and cheese (veggies too).

This was my first bite from Smashies Burger, i.e the one that sets the first impression for me. I like the beef patty, it was juicy and chewable soft. As the name of the restaurant would suggest, this burger joint ‘smashes’ their patty to cook them, hence Smashies. From what I understand, there is a technique to smash cook these patty. Leave them too long, they would be too dry. But these patties I had here, were juicy, nice and fresh.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERALord of the Mess, RM17 | Single beef patty with cheese, fried portobello mushroom, fried nachos

This was something different with nachos, but because the burger was so huge it was difficult to eat them all together that I ended up eating them bits by bits. As usual, I loved the patty. I wished they had more portobello mushrooms for this, though.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAHot Chicks, RM14 | Single chicken patty with cheese, pineapple, sunny side up egg, hot sauce.

This is one hot gooey juicy goodness, I can’t get enough of. I had no idea there were pineapples in them, until I took a bite and then, the sweet pineapple taste coupled with the tangy hot sauce… ahhh, so good. It is very very messy, use all ten fingers to fully enjoy the experience. Haha. Chicken patty was okay, nothing fantastic.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAHot Chicks, RM14 | Another picture because it’s too delish! You can see the golden juicy goodness here. Trust me, it’s not too sauce-y.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAChicken Run, RM12.50 | Fried chicken, pineapple, tartar sauce and hot sauce.

I didn’t try this because I personally am not a fan of fried chicken patty.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERATwillight Bella, RM11 | Single grilled portobello mushroom with cheese.

The buns for these were really soft, it almost felt like sponge cake. Especially since it was the orange flavoured ones. The mushrooms were good, but I’d still pick patties over this. If you’re a vegetarian though, this is quite nice and something different.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAShroom Bomb, RM17 | Double fried portobello patties with mozarella and cheddar cheese, tartar sauce

This was so so freaking mega huge. Like really huge I cannot imagine even eating it. Haha. I didn’t try this, but cheese lovers should. It has no meat, vegetarian since it is just mushrooms and loads of cheese. Some commented that the batter masked some of the taste of the cheesy mushrooms.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAShroom Bomb, RM17 | It is oozing with cheese, overloaded with them!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERARed Moo, RM19 | Single patty with cheese, hash brown,bacon, sunny side up egg

I didn’t get to try this, but it does look really good. I mean it has bacon, patty, egg and hash brown all in one burger! Can it anymore perfect than that? I will probably hop by there again and will try this the next time.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA One More Night, RM18 | Double patties and double cheese

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERARed Moo, RM15 | Single patty with cheese, hash brown, fried egg, extra hot sauce

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAFries (300g), RM7 | Cajun seasoned, served with cheese and hot sauce.

I didn’t like the fries one bit, it wasn’t fluffy or soft. It was bit hard and just plain salty. The sauces were also just mediocre. I don’t think it complemented well.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOnion Rings, RM7 | Served with the same sauces as the fries.

Never fancied onion rings and after having these, I still don’t. So, you can say it was just okay. It’s onion rings, not that mind blowing of a food if you ask me.

* * * * * * * * * *

This burger joint may just be another burger place, with a couple hits and misses but it would still be worth a shot. Especially for burgers like Hot Chick. That is probably one burger I would actually have cravings for, because it is that good. :)

* * * * * * * * * *

&. Thanks to Foodirector and Smashies for having me. +

3 comments:

  1. Hi Carmen!
    I got a link to your blog from the excellent blog of Robin Wong !:)
    I enjoyed the colorful food images that u have posted !
    I b'lieve u r with a EPL-5.
    The colors are very eyecatching ... r u shooting RAW?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there!

      Ah, Robin's blog. You must have read his post on the Olympus EP5 event.

      I'm glad you enjoyed the food images, it is actually my first time shooting with the kit lens of the EPL-5. Yes, I just bought my EPL-5 about one month ago.

      For this post, I shot in RAW. But I also shoot in JPEGs as well.

      Delete
  2. Hi again

    At my age.. watching delicious food, is the closest I can go, to enjoying it !!

    I was hoping to catch up with the entire event of E-5 introduction[I would have loved to b there in person :) ..]..however Robin did have a wedding to do after all ... and some

    of the event is defiinitely better than none at all ..:):)

    ReplyDelete