The Elephant Vanishes, Haruki Murakami.

IMG_3509
“… I felt something like a pity. I mean, was this really the best this joker could do? Was this all it took to give him such airs of superiority? Could he actually be so satisfied, so happy with himself, for this? It was pathetic.” – The Silence

“But it does happen, right?” he said. “Maybe once, but everyone has that experience. You loathe someone for no reason whatsoever. I’m not the type to have blind hate, but I swear there are people who just set you off. It’s not a rational thing. But the problem is, in most cases, the other guy feels the same way toward you.” – The Silence

* * * * * * * * * * *

“They were just an ordinary lonely boy and an ordinary lonely girl, like all the others. But they believed with their whole hearts that somewhere in the world there lived the 100% perfect boy and the 100% girl for them. Yes, they believed in a miracle.” – On Seeing The 100% Perfect Girl One Beautiful April Morning

* * * * * * * * * * *

“Because believe me, some things I’d like to forget. But the more I try to wipe them away, the more they pop into my mind. You know what it’s like when you’re trying to fall asleep and it only makes you more wide awake? It’s the same thing. I can’t figure it out. I remember things I couldn’t possibly have known. Sometimes it worries me, remembering the past in so much detail — how am I supposed to have room for what’s to come?” – A Slow Boat to China

“There are some things about myself I can’t explain to anyone. There are some things I don’t understand at all. I can’t tell what I think about things or what I’m after. I don’t know what my strengths are or what I’m supposed to do about them. But if I start thinking about these things in too much detail, the whole thing gets scary. And if I get scared I can only think about myself. I become really self-centred, and without meaning to, I hurt people. So I’m not such a wonderful human being.” – A Slow Boat to China

* * * * * * * * * * *

2 comments:

  1. I read that too, and I loved it! It was the second book that I read by Haruki Murakami. :) I'm reading Wild Sheep Chase now.

    ReplyDelete