Beauty : The Perfect Sunscreen Ever, Althea Velvet Sunaway



For the longest time ever, I remembered searching for the perfect sunscreen. Granted that each person have their preference over what is defined as the best for them, this is especially so … given that everyone is born with different skin types and we each react differently to different products. I tried so many different products before I finally settled for one, because one of my biggest peeve in a sunscreen product is when it has a sticky, greasy finish. Gah, I hated those kind the most and years ago, it was difficult to find one which wasn’t that.

Another reason why I didn’t like most sunscreen products back then, was the white cast they had after application. The white cast is caused by mineral UV filters, which are the actual ingredients in sunscreen that work to actually protect the skin from the sun. In sunscreen, there can be either mineral (physical) or chemical UV filters or a bit of both. The white cast effect is evident in mineral filters such as zinc dioxide and titanium dioxide as they need to sit atop the skin like a shield. They work by reflecting UV rays from the skin as a mirror would. This is what causes the white cast – the minerals are reflecting light, making you like a sun-protected ghost. ;p

I did finally settle on a particular product because it had a light, watery texture that is easily absorbed and does not leave any sticky after feel. This product was essence based which was also sweatproof and waterproof. However, it wasn’t my ideal sunscreen. Reason being is because despite what it’s claimed to do it still left a slight sheen on my face and you’ll need to use powder to pat down the shininess. But seeing it’s the next best product I could find, I relented and settled for that until … that fateful day when I finally tried the Althea Petal Velvet Sunaway product.

What is it?



Althea Petal Velvet Sunaway is one of the Althea’s latest addition into the Petal Velvet series of product. Read more about my review of it here >> Trying Althea's First Beauty Product - Petal Velvet Powder.

Althea have since came a long way, releasing multiple products which I have had the opportunity to review. The products released thus far have ranged from a finishing powder; Petal Velvet Powder to a skincare range of cleanser, emulsion and moisturiser; Bare Essentials to masks; Real Fresh Skin Detoxer and now to compliment the beauty series with the release of a sunscreen. This may their best beauty product released ever, if not it definitely is my favourite one thus far.


Unlike other comparative products, this sunscreen is formulated with Damask rose extracts which helps to ensure that your skin stays fresh and hydrated throughout the day without any streakiness or a white cast.On top of this, it also has a SPF of 50+ and PA++++  that protects your skin from the harmful rays of the sun. And my favourite feature is that it’s part of Petal Velvet line where it contains micro-powder particles that give you a smooth, petal-like complexion.

How to Use


It’s relatively simple to apply this product but there’s a twist where you’ll need to shake the bottle well before application. This step of "shaking before use” bears some likeness to the typical sunblock products in the market. However, the similarities end right there.


The product is lightweight, which makes it extremely easy to blend and spread on your face. Once applied, it leaves a matte finish which is a huge advantage for me. This is as it makes it very buildable and I am able to use other products over it. Hence, you can use it as a primer base as well, since it provides your skin with a nice velvety landscape.



Otherwise, if you fancy a quick fuss-free au naturel look, you could use your other products and use the Petal Velvet Sunaway to give you the protection from the sun and finishing the look with the latest updated range of Petal Velvet Powder(s). The new range now comes in two additional variant on top of the first version #0 Translucent which is #23 Warm Beige and #Pink Lavender.



On my lazy days, I have simplified my make-up routine to just as the sunscreen, Petal Velvet Sunaway and the Petal Velvet Powder! I love how fine and easy it is for me to apply the powder. I’d use a kabuki brush for the application of the powder by simply dusting it over my face. Super simple, and it simplifies my routine by heaps. I’d even be able to skip my usual BB cream application too!

Thoughts



Having used the product for the past one month, I can happily assert that by my records, the Petal Velvet Sunaway is truly a star product in its class. Althea have managed to take the least interesting, sometimes overlooked product (especially with more foundation, BB/CC cream having embedded sun protection) to innovate it and produce a sunscreen which we didn’t know we could love. At least for me, I swear by this now.

I have combination skin, with oily T-zone and after applying the sunscreen, along with the velvet powder to finish it off, I can go hours long before my oily T-zone shines on. This itself is a huge plus for me, and would be the reason why I’d highly recommend this product. Let me know your thoughts if you do try it out. :)

Till next time,
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment