EAT: A gem of Japanese food in Butaya ISAKAYA, Sri Hartamas


For the longest time whenever my friends come to me for recommendations on where to eat isakaya,  I’d be stumped. Stumped because there are just too many options out there to choose from and I’ve only tried a handful.  There were mostly hits and misses, but I may have stumbled upon a place worth recommending to Japanese food lover. Although the name suggests that the eatery serves izakaya, don’t be fooled to think that that is the only type of dishes that they have.


It surprises me so when I had a look at their menu, I was pretty much spoilt for choices. There were pages and pages of different type of Japanese food. The type of food served there ranges from their signature of Japanese yakitori, sashimi, deep fried (Age) dishes,  rice (Don) dishes, noodles (Ramen & Soba), tempura and various options of side dishes.

It is located at the quieter side of Hartamas, where it is considerably less congested and parking is aplenty, which is an absolute plus point for me. The next point that Butaya Izakaya would get is from its effort to replicate the interior of a Japanese casual restaurant. In all honesty, I haven’t yet been to Japan, but I envisage those casual restaurants by the streets to look something like this.

The best way to begin a meal is through the array of appetisers that the restaurant has, and these are some of the dishes which we had - Boiled Salted Pork Belly With Spicy Miso Sesame, Chashu Bun Platter, Luncheon Tomago, Takoyaki, Cucumber Sesame, Spinach Dashi. Of these all, my favourite would have to be the Luncheon Tomago, being both a fan of the luncheon meat and eggs! That dish really was the combination of my favourite food!

Boiled Salted Pork Belly With Spicy Miso Sesame | RM 15

Luncheon Tomago | RM 12

Takoyaki | RM 12

Cucumber Sesame | RM 8

Spinach Dashi | RM 7


But it is the wide array of yakitori selections that was the highlight of my dining experience in Butaya Izakaya. For the longest time, I’ve been on a search for an affordable Japanese restaurant to eat the yakitori sticks! The ones from Butaya Izakaya have a price range of RM4 to RM5 per sticks, with a variety of options to pick from … approximately about 30 different types! To name a few, there are part of pig's internal organ such as heart, tongue, kidney, liver. You can also have the pork belly, loin and shoulder too. As for the vegetables, there are choices such as asparagus roll, leek roll and shitake. If you fancy chicken or fish over pork, there is always the chicken wings, thigh, heart, tail, skin, gizzard, liver and also the healthy fish options of salmon, saba, unagi, hamachi and shishamo to pick from.



If yakitori is not your kind of food, rest assured that there are so many other options of Japanese food which you can opt for such as sashimi, tempura, donburi, pizza, ramen and soba. I’m just naming the few different type of food that I had, because if I had to list them all… I’ll be boring you out with names of the food! Let me share with you what else I tried during my dining in Butaya Izakaya.


Teriyaki Pork Ribs | RM 38

Sashimi Platter of Salmon, Tuna, Ebi, Hamachi and Kani | RM 75

Pork Karaage | RM 14

Crispy Pork Skin | RM 9

Gyoza | RM 14

Stir Fried Pork Kidney | RM 12

Luncheon Meat Egg Pizza | RM 15

Tonkatsu Ramen | RM 22

If you’re not yet convinced that you need to try the food at Butaya Izakaya, I’m sure their latest promotion will win you over and have you rushing to their restaurant now. For a limited time only, it is only RM10 for Tiger Beer & Saito Japanese Sake which is pretty much the cheapest price you can get in town! So, what are you waiting for? Come on over and try these amazing eats and snatch these deals since it’s available only for a limited time!



* * * * * * * * * *


Butaya Izakaya 豚家居酒屋
// 14, Jalan Sri Hartamas 8, Taman Sri Hartamas, 50480 Kuala Lumpur //
// 03 - 2389 4172 //
Open daily from 5pm - 12pm

* * * * * * * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment